In this post I’m going to go over some aspects of how the logo for the new UT was created. For now it’ll be a stub with a bit of important information, and eventually I will really expand this with a lot more detail about what went into the whole process.
I started making logos back in the late 90’s when I was heavily involved in the music scene and bands and labels started coming to me, and soon found myself doing them in other fields too, including anything from sports shops and home renovation companies to large pharmaceutical corporations. In those days, it was really easy to get jobs in that field, looking back on it now, and it could pay really well, anywhere up to a few thousand dollars in some cases. Over the years since then, I’ve basically done it off and on but less and less in the past five years.
After the UT project began I started by doing what I often do… throw together a couple of fan wallpapers without much real effort, and this led to my first logo submissions of sorts. Looking at it now, it’s obviously weaksauce, but it wasn’t a serious submission in the first place. One major roadblock to making serious submissions was the fact that we didn’t yet have any direction from Epic on where they wanted to go with it. Hardly their fault since it was extremely early in the game’s development cycle.
That was soon addressed, though. Chris Perna decided to speak up at some point while Cliff “Crotale” Hamby, myself and a couple of others were doing these types of fx’d up looking submissions and suggested that we scale back to simple black and white concepts or thumbnails which would show the strengths and weaknesses of the core idea more clearly. Naturally a wise suggestion. He also suggested to go in a more modern direction that retains the “DNA” in key areas. And so the real process began:
The above were my first serious submissions, and what’s striking is how close some of it is to what actually ended up getting used; the “tournament” font specifically is almost exactly the final version outside of some tweaks.
I began exploring many different directions from here, and would count roughly 200 separate variations between the start and the final version. Here are some of my favorites…
Below: A sheet with an anniversary edition of the final logo.